Cleeve House & Estate Manager
FFWPU UK is looking for a House and Estate Manager for Cleeve House in Wiltshire UK.
Job Title: Cleeve House & Estate Manager
Job Location: Wiltshire UK
Job Type: Full Time
Reporting jointly to the Trustees and the Finance Committee, the newly created position of Cleeve House Caretaker will enable the right candidate to manage the day to day operations of the retreat center of FFWPU UK and drive the business forward to optimize the assets of this beautiful location. Due to the wide-ranging duties carried out by the caretaker, both of a practical, administrative and promotional / marketing nature, the post holder will also be involved in seeking to bring in revenue for the seminar center, by pro-actively engaging in advertising, face-to-face meetings and also in seeking to secure sufficient group bookings. Other forms of income such as letting the building be used for film location work and theatre productions are also possible.
This role is ideally suited for a person or couple who has/have similar experience and is /are interested in developing a career in management. Working in this role requires the person to be spiritually robust, have a sense of adventure and be able to take initiative. This extremely varied role demands a lot from the individual and can be developed into a broader role for the right candidate(s).
The role is varied as well as challenging and requires a level of faith to be displayed by the person(s) doing the work as there will be many challenges and obstacles to overcome both internally and externally. This, in turn, will bring its rewards, as through hard work and dedication the fruits will be readily visible. It is currently being run as a B & B and wedding venue on a business basis, and the company has been paying rent to FFWPU. In the role we are offering there is no rent due to FFWPU, but the current running costs of circa £50,000 per annum will still need to be covered. At present the income from one tenant in the annexe brings in £8,400 p.a.; FFWPU use is another approximately £8,000 p.a.
The management committee from FFWPU will support the caretaker(s) in his/her role and seek to find the best way forward to develop the income as well as regular bookings and retreats from other groups (of which we already have regular annual bookings from a local Shakespeare Theatre Production Company, as well as several regular Yoga Retreats.
The management committee consists of two trustees of FFWPU: Andrew Johnson and Joanna Hartl and one member of the Finance Committee: Bernard Chellew.
The current person who is there running the operation on a functional business basis will finish on 31st October 2019, and in order to make a seamless handover possible, it would be ideal to move there well before this end date of 31st October 2019 ideally to get to know all the practical aspects of the venue, as well as familiarization with the location, and for those candidates with a family: the need to settle children into schools etc.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Acting as the first point of contact: dealing with inquiries, bookings, emails, correspondence, phone calls, arrivals and departures of guests.
- Making sure that there is a set of house rules for guests and that these are strictly adhered to.
- Making sure the house and grounds are kept to a high standard in order to welcome new guests.
- Ordering general housekeeping supplies i.e. toilet paper, cleaning materials, etc.
- Dealing with laundry and supervising that this is properly carried out, either in house or externally.
- Making sure cleaning is done satisfactorily.
- Preparing monthly progress and financial report.
- Keeping a computer excel chart of finances: both income and expenditure and filing invoices paid and unpaid.
- Keeping a record of petty cash transactions.
- Keeping a record of the bank machine payments by guests & reconciling this with the bank statement.
- Keeping self and other staff updated with any latest government regulations regarding current requirements [i.e. compliance] as well as any changes in the following legal requirements for the following areas: Risk Management; Health and Safety (H & S); Food Hygiene. Cleeve House Management Committee will also be available to advise and assist with this).
- Booking self or other staff on recommended and government-approved statutory training courses where necessary. [E.g. H & S, Food Hygiene, Risk Management, etc.].
- Any other duties as required by the Management Committee, which are commensurate with the position, to help manage the efficient and timely operation of the seminar center.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS & DUTIES
- Some office experience dealing with simple level of accounts/bookkeeping and/or administration.
- Practical experience dealing with people: i.e. in a service sector i.e. customer service / hospitality industry / seminar / retreat centre / FFWPU position / other.
- Discretion and trustworthiness: the post holder will often be party to confidential information.
- Flexibility and adaptability.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- High level of attention to detail.
- The ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- The ability to be proactive, take initiative and work independently.
- The ability to use the internet, email and social media for promotional purposes.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite including basic Word & Excel.
VALUED, BUT NOT REQUIRED SKILLS
- Previous experience of working in a seminar/retreat center is an advantage but is not essential.
- The ability to work under pressure and to keep to tight deadlines.
- The ability to research possibilities, advertise the venue and secure bookings for the venue from all possible and suitable sources.
- The entrepreneurial ability required to fulfill the budget necessary to cover the running costs.
- Full UK Driving Licence and own car is not essential but would be a great asset.
DESIRED PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
- Honesty and reliability.
- The ability to work without supervision.
- Well rounded personality; open and communicative.
- The ability to get along with people from all walks of life.
- The ability to make sure that guests stick to the house rules by being strict.
- Calm and positive under pressure.
- Conscientious and methodical.
- Strong commitment to high quality.
- Empathy with the work of FFWPU UK.
All Interested applicants should send an email to Joanna Hartl @ email@example.com before October 1st, 2019
*Job applicants must have the legal right to work in the United Kingdon. The Unification Church cannot help you.