WANGO Seeks Part-time Deputy Secretary General
The World Association of Non-Governmental Organizations (WANGO) is currently accepting applications for the part-time position of Deputy Secretary General.
WANGO is an international organization for NGOs whose mission is to strengthen and encourage the non-governmental sector as a whole, increase public understanding of the non-governmental community, and provide the mechanism and support needed for NGOs to connect, partner, and multiply their contributions to solve humanity’s basic problems.
Since its founding in 2000, WANGO has provided NGOs with innovative resources, from the Code of Ethics and Conduct for NGOs to the Worldwide NGO Directory, to help them accomplish their vital tasks. It has also pioneered several projects, among them, Play Soccer Make Peace! and the New Ngelepen, Indonesia Project with Emaar Properties, and, through its annual WANGO Awards, recognizes NGOs that demonstrate extraordinary innovation, leadership, and excellence in service to humanity.
Job Title: Deputy Secretary General
Job Location: Tarrytown, NY
Job Type: Part Time
Reporting directly to the Chairman of WANGO, the Deputy Secretary General will oversee WANGO’s operations and communications efforts. For the purposes of training, the Deputy Secretary General should be able to work out of WANGO’s office in Tarrytown, NY for three to four days a week over two weeks. After this initial training period, the work can be done remotely. This position is part-time, flexible, requiring about 10 to 15 hours a week, with the possibility of additional hours in the future.
- Working with the Chairman, create and implement a new strategic plan and vision.
- Oversee the organization’s operations.
- Manage and develop relationships with new partners.
- Regularly update the website, including the WANGO News and Members-only sections.
- Draft WANGO’s monthly e-newsletter, NGO News; news articles; reports; and e-communications to members.
- Creatively build the organization’s online and social media presence to increase the visibility of WANGO and its programs.
- Plan and organize events, including webinars and the annual WANGO Awards.
- Represent the organization at local and international events.
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 2-3 years professional experience
- Passionate about making a positive and lasting contribution to the world
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to think creatively
- Strong computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Familiarity with content management systems (e.g., Joomla) and databases a plus
- Familiarity with social media platforms (e.g., Facebook) a plus
- Experience working for a nonprofit/NGO a plus
How to Apply
Please send a resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “[position title]—[your name]” in the Subject line.
Application deadline: Monday, September 25, 2017 or until the position is filled.
For further information about the roles, please contact email@example.com.